The School of Health Information Management programmes were designed to provide students with the vital information required at the local, state and national levels in order to ensure efficient, effective and comprehensive national health care delivery within the context of National Health Management Information System Policy of the Government.
The School of Health Information Management Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital was established in the year 2002 and was given initial approval and accreditation by the Health Records Officers Registration Board of Nigeria (HRORBN).
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHOOL ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
The goal of the school programmes was designed to provide the knowledge and skills to assist in planning, collating, organizing, disseminating, monitoring and managing vital health information required to ensure efficient and effective comprehensive national health care delivery through the following objectives:
• To transmit a body of knowledge and adequate technical skills and techniques.
• To increase the students capacity to be creative and to communicate effectively with others.
• To enable the student to understand himself, his environment and the community in which he lives.
• To establish and maintain professional standards and health Information ethics in the practice of Health Records/Health Information Management.
• To liaise with National Board for Technical Education, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and Health Record Officers Registration Board of Nigeria and maintain the Health Information Management Professional Standard.
However, in the year 2004 agreement between the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and Health Records Officers Registration Board of Nigeria (HRORBN) was reached for joint accreditation to enable the school graduate students with National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) respectively.
The School of Health Information Management (SHIM) has pursued the goal of integrated curriculum implementation by pooling academic staff from the administrative departments of Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano state polytechnic, Bayero University Kano Computer Centre and Colleges of Arts and
Kano State University of Technology Kano.
Health Records Professionals were also absorbed to complement the requirement of lecturers in the core professional areas of the school courses units as well as practical sessions during the Students Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) and Industrial Attachment after completion of National Diploma.
The School of Health Information Management (SHIM) has a functional library, computers were readily available both within the school complex Bayero University Computer Centre and AKTH Computer Centre for practical training of the students. The Computers in the Health Records Department also complement the computer practical requirement of the school.
Mal Umar Faruk Principal